INSTRUCTIONS:

Check out the new MoBeam posts! To find K40 conversion information use the "INDEX", "SEARCH" or "LABELS" sections in the sidebar.

Monday, November 1, 2021

USB Microscope Review

Unboxing 

Every once in a while the beams align while making and a surprise outcome is realized!

I set out to buy a USB microscope and follow the lead of some others to use this for focussing my laser diode engraver.

After some research, I chose this unit; https://amzn.to/3lnjjEq

It worked right out of the box (connects like a webcam) including my Windows PC and Android phone.

It came with a nice zipper case, holder, software disk, USB adapter, and graticule.

I was happy with the image it created and even if it does not end up being the best way to measure focus I will use it for electronics projects and measuring images.

Android

 PC

What a Deal

Then an interesting thing happened. I got an email from the seller offering me a deal. Write a 5star review and they would send me a free metal microscope stage.

I had been here many times before. Write a review and then the promised thing never arrives.
This was different. I was ok writing a 5 review because I was very happy with the unit. I let the seller know by sending a screenshot of the review and then to my shock and awe … the thing arrived.

It really was made of metal. In fact, it was well made not the plastic junk you usually get for free!

Enter, a New Tool

Then here is where the beams aligned.
I had been sketching up a design for a tool to help properly insert heat-set plastic fasteners. My manual soldering iron approach had gotten painstaking and never resulted in a straight insert.
Then it hit me that I could use this microscope stage to install heat inserts using a woodburning iron I already had mounted into this new stage.

After making a PVC adapter for the iron and turning threaded heads that fit all sizes of my inserts I had a new tool.





Enjoy,

Comments are always welcome. 

Please, consider using the donate button on the sidebar if you found this post valuable!

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment